Citrix Farm @ SLAC - Citrix XenApp 6.0
New Application Requests for the Citrix Farm
If you would like a new application or program to be added to the SLAC Citrix Farm, please review the requirements listed below.
Note: System restrictions prohibit users from installing software on the Citrix Farm. New software can only be installed on the Citrix Farm by the Citrix Administators.
New Application/Program requirements:
- The application must be 100% compatible and be certified to run within the Microsoft Windows Server 2008 operating system.
- DOS applications will not be approved to run on the Citrix Farm. Performance problems occur when running DOS applications in the Citrix Farm, including the possibility of such applications using 100% of the processor and system resources available.
- Windows 16-bit applications will also not be approved to run on the Citrix Farm. Win16 applications require extensive testing and modification before they can run properly on a multi-user Windows environment. Configuring Win32 applications is a staff intensive process with no guarantee of success.
- Graphics applications (i.e. Adobe Illustrator, PhotoShop, etc.) are permitted, but the user must understand that the Citrix client may not experience optimal performance when such applications are configured with high color depths.
- Mathematical, statistical, analysis and other computation-intensive programs are permitted, but will be made available to a limited set of systems within the Farm due to the high use of resources by such applications. The group, department, or division requesting such applications may be asked to fund the necessary resources for the Citrix Farm to successfully host them.
- The requestor and any user(s) logging into the Farm to use the new application must possess a valid user license or be covered by a SLAC site license when applicable. SLAC non-site licensed applications will be controlled by Domain security groups which will restrict access to licensees only.
- The Citrix Administrators will only be responsible for making the application available within Citrix and maintaining it at current patch levels. The requestor must agree to assume all other support responsibilities for the application, unless otherwise agreed upon with the Citrix administrators.
- Any application that has a negative effect on the servers or would cause a security risk will be removed from the Farm immediately.
How to request a new application for the Citrix Farm: Submit a request to firstname.lastname@example.org . Please include as much information about the application, including but not limited to:
- Business justification for requested application.
- Application name, version number, and patch level.
- Manufacturer, their web site, technical support pages or technical support contact information.
- Memory and disk space requirements (for a complete/full) installation.
- Known issues, bugs or security problems.
- Number of users that will be using the application.
- Which client platform is being used to log on to SLAC Citrix Farm?
- Is the application designed for Win32 operating systems and whether or not the application is multi-user aware?
- Per seat license or site license; how to obtain additional licenses and costs of additional licenses.