Safety Simplified: Job Hazard Analysis
By Joe Kenny
Three little pigs, three bears, three wishes. In storytelling,
significant things often come in threes. So it is with worker safety.
This spring you’ll be hearing more about three new systems for improving
(Drawing by Nicolle Rager)
1. The routine Job Hazard Analysis and
Mitigation (JHAM) for day-today tasks
2. The non-routine JHAM for new, unfamiliar activities
3. The Area Hazard Analysis
In turn each of these systems relies simply on you asking these three
1. What are the job steps, tasks, or equipment?
2. What are the hazards associated with the task (or area)?
3. How do I mitigate each hazard? For More Information
For More Information
Contact the JHAM Implementation Team for your Division:
• BSD: Frank Topper (Ext. 3024,
• ESH: Joe Kenny (Ext. 3517,
• RD: John Weisend (Ext. 5448,
• SSRL: Ian Evans (Ext. 3110,
• TD: Karen Holtemann (Ext. 4294,