By Robert Reek
When the weather turns cold, many of us will use portable
space heaters in our offices or at home. The following guidelines will
help you use them safely.
• Choose an electric space heater that has the
Underwriters Laboratory (UL) seal of approval.
• Connect your electric space heater directly to a
grounded wall outlet or to a grounded and approved power strip that is
connected directly to the wall outlet.
• Place your electric space heater away from exits, exit
pathways and combustible material.
• Confirm that your electric space heater is in good
working condition (no spliced wire or taped connections).
• Ensure that the heating elements of your electric space
heater are completely enclosed.
• Do not put your electric space heater under your desk
because that increases the risk that the heater can be kicked over or come
in contact with your clothing.
• Disconnect your electric space heater when it is not in
Contact: Robert Reek, SLAC Fire Marshal, Ext. 4509,